Idaho Falls Air Show organizers have announced parking, transportation, and road closures for next weekend’s event.
The two-day Extreme Blue Thunder Air Show is expected to draw thousands of attendees, and parking and vehicle access in the immediate airport vicinity will be limited, an air show news release said.
The event is scheduled from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and July 23. Gates open at 9 a.m. each day.
Spectators are encouraged to park in one of three designated lots and utilize the shuttle buses to get them to the gates. Both parking and shuttle bus transportation from the designated lots will be free of charge, the release said.
Illustrated maps are available online at idahofallsairshow.com.
Spectator park-and-ride lots have been secured at three separate locations on the west side of Idaho Falls. Each lot has been designed with a color-code that corresponds with a matching color-code on each shuttle bus.
The free parking lots are:
• Skyline High School (1767 Blue Sky Drive) is the Blue Lot, and corresponds with “blue” buses.
• Broadway and Bellin (201 S. Bellin Road) is the Red Lot, and corresponds with “red” buses.
• Snake River Landing (3239 Pioneer Lane) is the Brown Lot, and corresponds with “brown” buses.
Families with small children /
Individuals with disabilities
Additionally, a designated lot for families with small children, and a designated lot for individuals with disabilities are available near the air show grounds at the intersection of Grandview and Foote drives.
Families needing access to a stroller or wagon for small children should utilize the family parking lot.
Space at the family lot is on a first-come, first-served basis. Transportation from the family lot is by foot. The lot is about two blocks from the air show grounds.
The disabled parking lot is located along the east side of Skyline Drive, just south of the main airport entrance. This lot is a short distance from the air show entrance gate, and golf carts will be available to assist those in need.
Spectators utilizing the three designated park and ride lots will have access to shuttle bus transportation during the air show. Buses will run on a continuous loop to and from the air show grounds and parking lots on both Saturday and July 23.
All shuttle buses will enter and exit the air show grounds through a special access point located along Interstate 15. This access point was developed specifically for air show shuttle transportation, and will ensure quick and fast movement of spectators, the release said.
The shuttle buses will not have space for large, bulky items such as strollers or wagons. Spectators should limit the amount of large items they bring to the air show due to space limitations on the buses, and to ensure quick entrance through security checkpoints.
For a list of prohibited items, go to idahofallsairshow.com.
The following road closures will be in effect during the air show:
• noon to 5 p.m. — Interstate 15 from the U.S. Highway 20/Grandview exit (119) to the Roberts exit (135). Traffic will be routed onto U.S. Highway 20 in Idaho Falls and state Highway 48 in Roberts.
• noon to 5 p.m. — I-15 from the US 20/Grandview exit (119) to the Roberts exit (135). The same detour will be in effect.
Saturday and July 23
• 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. — I-15 from the US 20/Grandview exit (119) to the Roberts exit (135).
• 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. —
• Grandview westbound will close from I-15 to Skyline Drive. Traffic will be routed onto I-15 southbound.
• I-15 northbound onramp from Broadway exit (118) and the northbound off-ramp to US 20/Grandview exit (119) will close. Idaho Falls traffic will be directed to use exit 118. US 20 traffic will be directed to use the Roberts exit (135) or the Sage Junction exit (143).
• Grandview eastbound/Bellin Road northbound will close from Broadway to Skyline Drive.
• Skyline Drive northbound will close from Broadway to Grandview Drive.
• Saturn northbound will close from Broadway to Grandview Drive.
• The northern portion of Lindsay Boulevard after the Highway 20 onramp will close during the times above on Saturday and July 23.
• West 33rd North, west of the Old Butte Road will close during the times above on Saturday and July 23.
At the conclusion of the air show, some road closures will be in effect until law enforcement deems the area safe for normal traffic flows to resume.
All other vehicle traffic leaving the air show grounds and immediate vicinity will be routed along major Idaho Falls roads.