The annual Miramar Air Show began Friday, bringing a weekend full of aerobatics and displays of current and historic military aircraft. (Scroll down for Friday’s highlight photos.)
Gates open at 8:15 a.m. each day at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, and a twilight show is set for Saturday.
The U.S. Navy’s Blue Angels flight demonstration team is set to perform at 2:45 p.m. each day.
Also on hand are the Breitling Jet Team, sponsored by the Swiss watchmaker and making its first North American tour, and the Patriot Jet team. Both Breitling and Patriot pilots fly Czech-made L-39 Albatros trainers.
Base officials said attendees are subject to searches and having their bags inspected prior to entering the flight line.
“Spectators are encouraged to stay well hydrated and drink plenty of water,” organizers say. “Unattended bags and packages will be removed from the premises. Sun protection, including hats, long-sleeved shirts, long pants and sun screen are recommended.”
Water will be available for sale throughout the air show area. And be sure to wear comfortable footgear; the flight line is paved and you may walk long distances
The following items are prohibited on the flight line and subject to confiscation:
- Alcoholic beverages, unless purchased from approved vendors
- Ice chests or coolers larger than 2 gallons
- Pets, other than service animals
- Glass containers
- Bicycles, roller skates, roller blades, (kick and electric) scooters or skateboards
- Large Backpacks/Bags
- No personal Drones (i.e. quad or hex copters)
- Federally banned substances such as illicit narcotics
The following items are permitted on the flight line. All permitted items will be inspected prior to admission to the flight line.
- Children’s wagons (nonmotorized)
- Small or medium (hand carried) ice chests or coolers (No crushed ice, ice packs only)
- Standard backpacks
- PCS/cellular phones, pagers and FRS transceivers
- Handheld portable televisions, radios and VHF scanners
- Fanny packs and purses, or bags
- Food and beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Cameras and camcorders
- Folding chairs and lawn chairs
- Handheld umbrellas
- Strollers and wheelchairs
- Baby diaper bags and strollers, if attending with an infant or small child (Stroller parking is available in a designated area behind the grandstands. Strollers are not permitted in the grandstand seating area.)
— City News Service contributed to this report.